Phoenix Cricket Club is the oldest in Ireland and believed to be the third oldest in the world, being formed in 1830 some five years before Dublin University Cricket Club. Prior to 1834, the club members met and practiced in the Phoenix Park but in 1835, the club moved out of the park and played it’s matches in open fields south of the canal behind Upper Baggot Street. In 1838, the Commissioner of Woods and Forests granted permission for a 150 yards square near the Wellington Monument. At that time, a temporary rail had to be erected as several players were injured as the ground had been badly cut up by the wandering animals. Permanent rails were subsequently erected of an agreed thickness and painted white so as to be clearly visible to horsemen!
In 1846, when the main road through the Phoenix Park was widened, the club had to move again. A new ground in an adjacent area was recommended, and in view of the expense already incurred by the club, the move was financed by the Board of Works, at a cost of £73, and Phoenix have remained at this present ground ever since.
The decades, 1950–1970 were without the glory of the previous years due to an aging team. Despite 2 cups in the 1950s, the next decade was without a major trophy during the whole of that decade.
In the later 1960s a younger squad started to emerge and, after 22 years, Phoenix won the John Player Senior cup in 1973; and in 1974 the club were the inaugural winners of the Wiggins Teape League.
In 1975, Phoenix accomplished the Grand Slam (all three trophies and the only club to ever do it). During the entire decade the 1st XI relied on a hard core of 15 players to lift 6 cups, 3 league titles and 2 Wiggins Teape.