Largely thanks to Mike Halliday, Phoenix Cricket Club has a strong sense of its legacy and history. History boards are displayed in the pavilion along with relevant team photographs. They have been posted on the club’s website so they can be read by anyone with an interest. They can also be downloaded if anyone should wish to do so. The history of the club which was founded in 1830 has never been printed in book form and these posters do not pretend to be a serious substitute, rather an accessible display and account of the main events and notes on some of the main cricketers and characters that played the game in Phoenix between 1830 and 1990 and made significant contributions to the development of the club and, in many cases, the game in Ireland.

Phoenix Cricket Club

Phoenix in the 00s

Phoenix in the 90s

Women’s Cricket

The focus this season was to celebrate the club’s 150th anniversary. The playing highlight was a game against Somerset CCC on the 7th June. This reciprocated a match the previous year in Taunton, when Phoenix were on tour. The fixture was “drawn” but a very large crowd enjoyed exhibition cricket from the visitors who included captain Brian Rose, Vic Marks (both who played test cricket for England), Peter Roebuck, Peter Denning, Denis Breakwell and Colin Dredge in their side (see article from the Irish Times displayed nearby). The team finished second to Malahide by one point in the Leinster Senior League. The first cup game for 6 years was lost to Pembroke in the quarter final having beaten Carlisle in the first round. Some would say that the most significant happening of this season was that Alf Masood made his senior debut for Phoenix.

Read More

Phoenix 1st XI 1980s

It is very hard to rationalise what happened in that season. Stan Mitchell’s captaincy was definitely a factor. His carefully crafted nuggets of wisdom “gently” imparted to his minions at the many moments of crisis throughout the season seemed to always get the required response. Basically, the side operated with 12 players throughout the season. Ray Tilson was a new addition to the team. Plucked from a most unpromising career on the 3rd XI, he played in 22 games out of 23, missing out on the cup final when an extra bowler was picked. This was due to a doubt about the fitness of opening bowler Rod Young. However, Young’s startling figures were 12 overs, 12 maidens, 0 runs, 3 wickets. Despite chasing a small total (85), Phoenix struggled to reach it and were grateful to an uncharacteristically whirlwind 21(5 fours) from Hart Cox to scrape over the line. Phoenix also won the Senior League for the first time since 1956winning 8 of 10 games to finish ahead of Malahide. The highlight was a 10 wicket win over Clontarf at Phoenix. Further success followed when the Wiggins Teape League was retained. 1975 will always be known in Phoenix as the “treble year”.

Read More

Phoenix 1st XI 1970s

In the period from 1935(when the Leinster Senior Cup began) to 1958, Phoenix played in 12 cup finals, winning 8, including hat tricks in 1937/8/9 and 1947/8/9. Jimmy Boucher and Paddy Quinn played in all 12. The four Quinn brothers, Frank, Gerry, Paddy and Kevin came to Phoenix from a hurling background in Gort, Co.Galway via Belvedere College and all four were capped and had long careers in the dominant Phoenix side of the 30s and 40s. Their cartoons can be seen displayed in the pavilion. Marcus Ruddle and Brendan and Neil Fox added to the quality of these XIs.

Read More

Phoenix 1st XI 1930s-1960s

Tom Dixon was an Aussie who entered Trinity in 1925, spent 7 years getting an engineering degree and played for Phoenix after DUCC’s fixtures finished. A quick swing bowler he captained Ireland in 1932, winning all four matches. He took 7 wickets in the win over the West Indies in 1928 and played with George McVeagh in a powerful DUCC XI in 1927. McVeagh probably encouraged him to play for Phoenix. Dixon and his fellow cricketing brother Pat left for India in 1932 and captained Delhi in the first year of the first class Ranji trophy. They both became missionaries and died in Kenya in the 1980s.

Read More

Phoenix Between The Wars

Pat Hone came from a distinguished cricketing family that included his father, uncles and a number of his father’s cousins. Hone’s father, William, and uncle, Leland, who played a test match for the MCC, were also Phoenix members. Hone toured the USA with Frank Browning’s Irish team in 1909 and scored 7 centuries for Phoenix in 1913, a season when he scored a total of 2,400runs. He wrote about this achievement at the time: ‘This may or may not be a record, who cares?’ It wasn’t. He was awarded the Military Cross in 1918 for ‘Conspicuous gallantry and devotion to duty’ at Kruisstraat, near Ypres. He captained Phoenix in 1930 and played friendlies into the 1950s. He was club secretary from 1937 to 1946 and was elected first President. His book Cricket in Ireland was published in 1955.

Read More

Into The 20th Century

Pat Hone came from a distinguished cricketing family that included his father, uncles and a number of his father’s cousins. Hone’s father, William, and uncle, Leland, who played a test match for the MCC, were also Phoenix members. Hone toured the USA with Frank Browning’s Irish team in 1909 and scored 7 centuries for Phoenix in 1913, a season when he scored a total of 2,400runs. He wrote about this achievement at the time: ‘This may or may not be a record, who cares?’ It wasn’t. He was awarded the Military Cross in 1918 for ‘Conspicuous gallantry and devotion to duty’ at Kruisstraat, near Ypres. He captained Phoenix in 1930 and played friendlies into the 1950s. He was club secretary from 1937 to 1946 and was elected first President. His book Cricket in Ireland was published in 1955.

Read More

The ‘Golden Age’ of Cricket

In the centre of the photograph of the Irish XI that played against Birkenhead Park in Phoenix in 1858 stands Charles Lawrence, with black coat and beard. Lawrence was a cricket entrepreneur who had played for Surrey and Middlesex, and was responsible for setting up an All Ireland XI in 1855. From 1851 he was employed as the club pro by Phoenix, where he organised visits to the Park by major English clubs. He was a round-arm fast bowler who often reverted to underarm lobs later in an innings. As a young boy his models and heroes in London were the legendary Alfred Mynn and Fuller Pilch. His first job as a cricket pro was in Scotland at the Perth club. In 1849 he took all ten wickets, including Mynn’s, for Scotland against the wandering professional All England XI. This team was organised by William Clarke, the founder of Nottinghamshire’s home, Trent Bridge, and who was a driving force for professional cricket. It was Clarke who recommended Lawrence for the job in Phoenix.

Read More

Charles Lawrence 1828-1916

Phoenix, the first cricket club in Ireland, was founded in 1830. Althought reference was made to cricket in Trinity in the 1820s, the Dublin University Cricket Club (DUCC) was not founded until 1835. The members met and practised in the park until 1834 and the Marylebone Cricket Club (MCC) has a painting of cricket being played near the Wellington Monument circa 1830. In 1835 the club moved to fields behind Baggot Street, south of the Grand Canal, relocating in 1838 to another site in the park near the Wellington Monument. The men responsible for all this organisation and movement were VE Alcock and the Lords Dunlo and Clonbrock, both members of the MCC. The year after Chesterfield Avenue was widened in 1846 the club moved to the present site; the move was financed by the Board of Works at a cost of ,75. In the 1850s Phoenix, now described as ‘The Premier Club’ in newspapers, began entertaining prestigious visitors such as the MCC and I Zingari. A professional cricketer, Charles Lawrence, was employed and for ten years he was the driving force behind the continued development of the club, the standard of the cricket played, the encouragement of clubs throughout the country and the creation of an international side. The pavilion was built in 1851 and the simple changing facilities and caretaker’s quarters were to remain until redevelopment in the 1970s. The curved front facade was open, as can be seen in the team photograph of 1882, and was enclosed by windows and front door about 1884. Today the brickwork of the original pavilion can be compared to that of the curved front.

Read More

The Early Years